Wednesday 1 February 2012

Author's Note: While reading Jekyll and Hyde, I noticed many places where Stevenson includes the Faust theme, warning against beeing to devoted to finding knowledge. The quotes "...hitherto it was his ignorance of Mr. Hyde that had swelled his indignation; now, by sudden turn, it was his knowledge" as well as "but now his imagination also was engaged, or rather enslaved" in particular caught my attention. This poem is a response to those quotes.

Uncertainty, curiosity, mystery
Driving me to question all-
What I had been told
What I had thought truth

I don't know but want to
Need to
Will
Will find the answer

And do, but only to find a
Question

Another question
Another problem
Another need to know

I don't know but want to
Need to
Will
Will find the answer

And do, but only to find that
The answer enslaves me
Closing me in a labyrinth of mystery

Never to escape.

3 comments:

  1. First off, I really enjoyed the profound ending... just wanted to say that. Other than that this poem was really good. I felt as if we were traveling in a loop while I read it and I enjoyed how you included the word labyrinth, because the more I thought about it your poem took us on a sort of maze, which I though was really cool. I loved your inspiration quotes, the one with the word enslaved in it has so far been my favorite quote of this whole piece, and I also was inspired to write my piece by it. I probably wouldn't change anything, you are just a great writer, and there is no denying it. I find it interesting how we could both be inspired by the same thing and take such different things, which is a great thing because there are so many ways to interpret information, and I love seeing how others do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a theme I missed; those lines really do fit right in with the Faust thing. Now that you bring that to light, it makes sense. Jekyll takes to role of the doctor burdened by his education/knowledge, and he needs Hyde, who represents uncertainty and all that is vague as a temporary release for the doctor. You're response did well to clarify that theme. I like how you paint the picture of that trap that is knowledge, and kind of let us see it from his point of view. I can't see anything to change, except that you might have been able to make the end less cliche and more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mona this is so mind blowing I honestly don't know how to respond to it. So because that was so great I cannot think of anything more intelligent to say, so great job.

    After moments of consideration this is what popped into my head...

    Your poem really makes the reader think because it is so easy to connect to. Life is a puzzle and we are driven to complete it and answer every question, but more often than not it just leaves us with more questions than we originally had. We try so hard to answer every question when truly it is impossible and we are enslaved by our curiosity.

    ReplyDelete