Monday 27 February 2012

Short Compilation

Author's Note: I was looking at Mrs. Wood's response to Jekyll and Hyde a few weeks back, and I was inspired to do something similar. I compiled several quotes that inspired me, and meshed them together into one (very) short prose/poetry piece. I'm not sure if this counts as a writing response or not, but I liked it, so I'll post it.

I lingered but a moment at the mirror. At that time my virtue slumbered; my evil, kept awake by ambition, was alert and swift to seize the occasion. It was then my new power tempted me until I fell in slavery. The ugly face of my iniquity stared into my soul. Instantly the spirit of hell awoke in me and raged, the animal within me licking the chops of memory. This brief condescension to evil finally destroyed the balance of my soul.

Quotes:

“I lingered but a moment at the mirror…” (108) “At that time my virtue slumbered; my evil, kept awake by ambition, was alert and swift to seize the occasion…” (109) “It was on this side that my new power tempted me until I fell in slavery.” (109) “…the ugly face of my iniquity stared into my soul.” (117) “Instantly the spirit of hell awoke in me and raged.” (116) “…the animal within me licking the chops of memory.” (118) “…the brief condescension to evil finally destroyed the balance of my soul.” (118) “…he thought of Hyde, for all his energy of life, as something not only hellish but inorganic.” (122)

No comments:

Post a Comment